Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Taylor's Not So Swift and Kelly Clarkson Is My Idol

Since Taylor Swift's performance and success at the Grammy Awards, including winning the 'Album of the Year' Grammy Award, the internet has been abuzz about her badness..... Everyone has been complaining about her live performance with Stevie Nicks being pitchy and just plain poor, and most are debating why she won the most prestigious award in music when she has so much trouble performing live....



Scott Borchetta, head of Big Machine Records, has released a statement to the Associated Press in defense of his star against the recent criticism.

In his statement, he wrote:

“Maybe she’s not the best technical singer, but she’s probably the best emotional singer because everybody else who gets up there and is technically perfect, people don’t seem to want more of it.

This is not American Idol. This is not a competition of getting up and seeing who can sing the highest note. This is about a true artist and writer and communicator. It’s not about that technically perfect performance.

I think [the critics] are missing the whole voice of a generation that is happening right in front of them. Maybe they are jealous or can’t understand that, but obviously the people that she talks to are engaged with her. No one is perfect on any given day. Maybe in that moment we didn’t have the best night, but in the same breath, maybe we did.

The facts say she is the undisputed best communicator that we’ve got. When she says something, when she sings something, when she feels something, it affects more people than anybody else.”

Perhaps Mr. Borchetta is not helping Taylor as much as he's hurting her.... Apparently it's not about being good, it's about entertaining your audience....


After his comments to the Associated Press, Kelly Clarkson wrote a blog post directed at Scott Borchetta in defense of herself and other entertainers..... The post reads as follows:

"Dear Scott Borchetta,

I understand defending your artist obviously because I have done the same in the past for artists I like, including Taylor, so you might see why it's upsetting to read you attacking American Idol for producing simply vocalists that hit ‘the high notes’. Thank you for that ‘Captain Obvious’ sense of humor, because you know what, we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the ‘right’ notes as well. Every artist has a bad performance or two and that is understandable, but throwing blame will not make the situation at hand any better. I have been criticized left and right for having shaky performances before (and they were shaky) and what my manager or label executives say to me and the public is “I’ll kick butt next time” or “every performance isn’t going to be perfect” ……I bring this up because you should take a lesson from these people and instead of lashing out at other artists (that in your ‘humble’ opinion lack true artistry), you should simply take a breath and realize that sometimes things won’t go according to plan or work out and that’s okay.

Sincerely,

One of those contestants from American Idol who only made it because of her high notes"

I can't get enough of this feud! I can't wait for the next round....

Maybe Taylor should get some tips from Pink, who had an amazing performance while spinning upside down and soaking wet and suspended in the air by cloths....


9 comments:

  1. I've never understood the appeal of Taylor Swift, ever, but I do sort of agree with the head of her label in a way. You don't have to have a technically amazing voice to be a popular artist. Take Madonna... She can sing, yes, but not as technically well as say, Celine Dion, but guess who I'd rather listen to? Gwen Stefani doesn't have the range that Christina Aguilera does, but I like the sound of Gwen's voice better, and there's no comparison, IMO, as to who is more entertaining.

    We didn't use to judge artists solely on how well they sing, it used to be about how much we liked their music. (look at the 90's for example, not a lot of 'great singers' in the mix - Kurt Cobain, Courtney Love, Shirley Manson...Eddie Vedder has a fantastic voice, but he wouldn't have been asked to sing the National Anthem. Billy Corgan could hit high notes, but his voice alone was hard to listen to.) And, unfortunately, while Taylor's record guy could have gone about it in a less defensive/offensive way, he's right. It's been since American Idol began that we suddenly all began judging every singer on how "pitchy" they are, and whether their tone is correct, etc. I would much rather have Taylor Swift writing her own songs, and playing her own music - even if I don't like her or want to listen to her - than just a bunch of perfect singers singing perfectly crafted songs played by perfect musicians...

    Also, I think that people were mostly pissed off that she butchered Rhiannon when Stevie Nicks was there and we could have just heard Stevie sing it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from Nashville. OK Taylor Swift is all over the damn place. Let's face it, she is not a musical genius. She is like the Jonas Brothers of country music. Now, I do not listen to country, just not my thing. I can appreciate talented artists and I for one think Kelly Clarkson has an adundance of talent. I do not own her records but I admit the girl can sing. These days music is about marketing. Taylor is more marketable than Kelly it is that simple. It is sad. Remember when musicans were popular bc of the music? I mean nobody ever thought Christopher Cross was a hottie but he could sing his falsetto ass off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that really music should be about the pyrics and jow the artist uses them to grab you the listener. Not all artists are meant to be live performance/acapella singers.

    I am not an American Idol watcher. But there has been some good artists that make good music. I like Kelly Clarkson but don't own her albums nor do I have Taylor Swifts. But if we are bring up former Idols I have to say my main squeeze would be Carrie Underwood. She is hot can sing her ass off and really puts great lyrics and music together. And I am not a country music fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really care for either. Not my style of music. However as it goes with Taylor Swift, she's been flying high for so long, a backlash was inevitable. Admittedly I get tired of seeing her everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Colleen - Yeah, I don't understand the appeal of Taylor Swift either.... You didn't think Kurt Cobain was a great singer?

    @Lisa Marie - I loved Christopher Cross.... He always made me 'Jump! Jump!'

    @Jerry - If music was just about lyrics and how the artist uses them, then wouldn't Milli and Vanilli still 'Blame It On The Rain'?

    @TS Hendrick - She'll still be everywhere.... Her next album will sell billions of copies....

    By the way, the girl is only 20 years old.... It's just stupid....

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Michael - No! I wasn't saying they didn't have to actually sing the song. But they should be able to put the lyrics and music together with the way the sing to make it all work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They should have the whole package.... I agree. And with mastering in the studios, (specifically autotune and layering and other tools like those) any artist can sound great.

    However, if they can't perform sing live, they shouldn't win the big Grammy's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well maybe they need separate awards for those who perform live the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to see Pink's performance but I keep forgetting to look it up. That was awesome! I like Pink.

    I don't get Taylor... I can't decide if she's even pretty or not (her hair bugs me). Obviously she needs help hitting the right note... But she must appeal to someone because she's getting awards left and right...

    I prefer Kelly. Kelly rocks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails