Thursday, March 11, 2010

Antiques Roadshow - Highs And Lows

For the first time ever, a group of items displayed on the 'Antiques Roadshow' program on PBS have been appraised for up to $1,070,000. This is the first time items have been appraised for more than $1,000,000!


The collection consists of four pieces of carved jade and celadon dating to the reign of the Qianlong emperor (1735-1796) in China.

The collection breakdown includes:

Small Bowl - $30,000 to $50,000
Vase - $80,000 to $120,000
Dragon - $200,000 to $300,000
Large Bowl - $400,000 to $600,000

The pieces were inherited from her father, who had been a liaison in the Army stationed in Beijing. While in Beijing, her father became good friends with a Chinese man who had a jade shop.... Whenever her father's friend would come across a nice item, he would offer her father the item first....



I think I would have been a little more excited after hearing the news that I may have just become a millionaire.... I think I would have taken my clothes off and run around the auditorium while pointing my fingers in the air like six shooters and making cute little gun noises (like Sarah Palin does during her speeches)! Pew! Pew! Pew!


Unfortunately for the owner of the collection, after her appearance on 'Antiques Roadshow', the four pieces were sold at an auction for a total of $494,615.

Now that built up this ivory (or jade in this case) tower, I'm left with no other choice, I have to knock it down.... On the British (original) version of Antiques Roadshow, a man brought in a glass bottle for appraisal, which he noted was recently purchased for 1,000 pounds (approximately $1,500 US)....

(Not the actual glass bottle.... I just wanted to include a visualization....)

After examining the glass bottle, the appraiser determined that the bottle was just an empty olive oil bottle from Tesco (Shopping Center) and made in 2008 - and therefore worth nothing....

20 comments:

  1. I really needed to get Grandma to go through her stuff, I bet she has some stuff that is really worth a ton of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That SUCKS! But the market is what it is, and just because an appraiser thinks it's worth something doesn't mean the public will.

    It really sucks about the $1,500 Tesco bottle... that's why I'm afraid to buy things off eBay...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is funny! An empty Olive bottle and he paid 1,000 pounds.

    I wish I had some interesting stuff I could take on there and find out it's worth millions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed when people find out they have hit it big and all they do is raise their eyebrows!

    I am like you and am not too cool for school. I would be jumping up and down with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How come I never find stuff like that in my attic? Oh wait, don't have one. Agreed on the reactions. In the 5 years I watched ARS I never saw one hand raise in jubilance. Not even a mini-fist pump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am addicted to BBC's Antique Roadshow. I DVR it everyday and then I watch "You Are What You Eat" right after!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Melissa Mashburn - It's awesome to think that you could have a big ticket item that's just laying around....

    @Kristy - I'm always skeptical of buying things on ebay....

    @Jerry - You never know! You might be putting your keys in a bowl worth a million dollars!

    @The Girl Next Door Grows Up - I know! I would have assumed that her items might be worth a couple thousand at most.... But when he tells her they're worth up to a million dollars, she just sits there! Celebrate lady!

    @Copyboy - I've been hearing scratching in my attic.... I'm very worried about what could be up there....

    @Lisa Marie - BBC has the best shows ever! Is 'You Are What You Eat' the show where they show morbidly obese people everything they eat and then teach them to eat better? In any case, everything sounds better in a british accent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I had to tell you this! Holy crap that you posted this because we've been talking about this show all week... My husband's nonprofit is having a fundraiser with one of the roadshow peeps. They'll be appraising items for a donation. Sadly, the name is protected so they had to call it something else. But just funny since we've been talking about it all week and BAM it's in ABAO's blog!

    Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ally - How funny is that! Are they sending any big names in the appraisal business your way?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's crazy, especially the bottle.
    Some people just have too much money...

    Hey, I just signed up. Looking forward to reading more! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Pat Tillett - Welcome and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you like Antiques Roadshow, you might like Pawn Stars on the History Channel. It's Antiques Roadshow on steroids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I llove me some Pawn Stars!! That show rocks. I like seeing the different things they buy and what they are worth.

    My Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking they need some new appraisers, cause 50% of the appraised value SUCKS!!

    I agree with you that they need to get some people on there with a pulse..Sheesh.."Hey Lady you are a potential millionaire with this item"...Lady.."Oh, well thanks." The whole viewing audience woulda seen me doing the moonwalk if that was me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is cool! I flippin' LOVE the Antiques Roadshow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Nikki - Thanks for the recommendation! I just recorded an episode of Pawn Stars. I'll check it out tonight!

    @Bendigo - I'm not sure if it's the crazy state of the economy, or just a poor appraisal.... In any case, it is an auction, and $500,000 is nothing to scoff at.... By the way, we need video of Bendigo doing the moonwalk!

    @Mass Hole Mommy - It's one of those shows that seems like it would be super boring, but then you turn it on and you become transfixed....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore the Roadshow.
    I always joke about buying some ugly piece of something from TJ Maxx and going in and making up a story about how I thought it would be worth a million dollars and then be super upset when it's not worth anything.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You made me laugh so much with your description of you if you ever became millionaire!!:P I would be super-ecstatic too, believe me!

    But I would've felt totally humiliated if I'd bought an empty olive oil bottle for 1000 bucks! Poor person!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Somebody needs to slip some happy juice into her Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have pulled it out of that auction and sold it elsewhere. How much does that suck?

    Although $400,000 would do me good right about now...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails