Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Taking On Tyson

Approximately one month ago, fellow blogger TS Hendrik at The Non-Review wrote his opinions on the poor state of American television....

I say nay good sir! And I only need one piece of evidence to win my case..... I present to the ladies and gentlemen of the jury:

"Animal Planet presents 'Taking On Tyson'"

Mike Tyson will take you inside the ropes of his favorite sport and first love.... No, not boxing.... Former Heavyweight Champion Mike Tyson will take you inside the intensely competitive and bizarrely fascinating world of pigeon racing. Tyson will compete against other pigeon handlers in an attempt to be crowned a champ once again.


It all comes full circle.... In the self-titled Tyson documentary, Iron Mike explains that attacking a gang member that murdered one of Mike's prized pigeons indirectly started his path into boxing (something that would allow him to take out his rage). And his boxing career has created Iron Mike Tyson, the celebrity image needed to convince Animal Planet that he should host a show about pigeon racing. Oh, another odd note, did you know that All Star NBA player Carmelo Anthony is credited as a producer of the Tyson documentary?


I don't know about you, but I'm going to be glued to my set every time this show is on the television! And the 'Taking on Tyson' video game is going to be awesome!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so interesting! I love how Animal Planet has what appears to be new shows (maybe they're not)... Like they have this haunting type show involving pets. Can't recall the name of it, but I love it! I wonder if they will pick up on the hoarding trend and focus on the horrible deaths animals suffer at the hands of hoarders? I'd watch!

    Sorry for going off on the typical Ally tangent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cable channels will put anything on for ratings....can't say I don't blame em, but just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does seem like tv executives are trying to get ratings any way they can.... I just watched ED TV again, where they follow a guy around with video cameras all day and make his life a reality show....

    Remember the times before Survivor and this whole reality show craze? Don't get me wrong - I LOOOOOOOOOVE the mindless reality shows. But I chuckled a bit when I thought of the executive board meeting, where men in suits (who presumably make way more money than I do) sat around a large table and discussed a show involving Mike Tyson and pigeon racing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For all the bad things you can say about him, Tyson is a fascinating character. Who knew Iron Mike Tyson had something in common with Burt from Sesame Street?

    Also, let's not forget. Tyson needs the money really really badly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You couldn't make that up could you?! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait just an effing minute. Where's the birds ear? Did he already bite it off?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry but I just don't think I am that into animals that I would try to sit through 30 minutes to an hour a night trying to figure out what Mike said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ally - oh I know what show your talking about and I love that show too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I guess I can't argue against the brilliance behind this idea. Although, from that one picture where's he's kissing the pigeon, I have to say I hope this doesn't lead to an outbreak of "bird mono."

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmm I am thinking I will be skipping this one. I currently enjoy Billy the Exterminator on A&E

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have absolutely no response to this. I have to run away now

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures are what got to me!

    It's amazing to see a boxing champion who's the image of toughness, holding a pigeon that seems so fragile! I didn't know pigeon racing existed!?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's another interesting note.... I was talking to my dad about the Mike Tyson story, and he told me that he kept pigeons as pets as a young boy in Egypt.... And pigeon racing is super popular in Egypt.... AND people would train their pigeons to kill other pigeons during these races!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tyson. Pigeons. Ratings gold!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's wrong with this picture? So many things. Does anyone else not see the irony of a wife beater who would go to no end to protect some damn pigeons?!

    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tyson is such a unique animal that I am always lured to see more of him. He had some personal tragedy last year and that took the thunder away from his hilarious came in The Hangover.

    Thanks for the pigeon make out pic though...that just made my day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails