Monday, June 7, 2010

Mister Rogers And Me


While on vacation in Nantucket, Massachusetts, MTV News executive Benjamin Wagner had the ultimate neighbor, Mister Fred Rogers owned the house next door....
Mister Rogers.....

The man with the cardigan (all of them were knit by his mother), who welcomed us into his home everyday to teach us simple lessons about life....


The man who created the 'Neighborhood of Make-Believe', and made us desperate with the need to jump on that little trolley that traveled through his living room...
.

The man who taught me how to tie my shoes....

The man who made us all feel welcome in his home, with a simple tune telling us that 'It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood', and asking 'Won't you be my neighbor?'.

(Yeah, I'm not going to go into a huge diatribe about how he pretty much single-handedly saved both public television and the VCR. Or how he meticulously kept his weight at 143, because 143 meant 'I Love You'. Or how he wrote and composed all the songs on the show.)

I'm going to tell you about the new documentary, Mister Rogers & Me. I can't wait to see this! Mister Rogers played such a giant role in my life....

'On the afternoon of their first meeting, “America’s Favorite Neighbor” asked the young journalist about his job as an MTV News producer. Wagner felt exposed and embarrassed, a PBS mind in a jump-cut, sound-bit MTV world.

Mister Rogers said warmly, “I feel so strongly that deep and simple is far more essential than complex.”

Later, Rogers said simply, "Spread the message, Benjamin.”'

After Mister Rogers' death in 2003, Benjamin Wagner traveled across the country to interview friends of Mister Rogers to find out more about the man in the cardigan. In the end, the brothers come to know more than just the man and his luminous legacy. They unmask the forces acting against depth and simplicity, and develop the means to lead deeper, simpler lives.



If you love Mister Rogers as much as I do, you should definitely check out the PBS site for his show.... You can see videos of Mister Rogers singing 'Won't You Be My Neighbor' and 'You Can Never Go Down The Drain'! It sounds simple, but nobody else ever took the time out to tell me that I was 'bigger than any bathroom drain', and that I wouldn't be sucked into a world where Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fight to keep our city safe.... Oh, and you can see the video of Mister Rogers and the crayon factory!

Click on the card below to go to the site!

19 comments:

  1. Loved Mr. Rogers!!! I will definitely check this out! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that brought some memories from the distant past... :)

    Everybody loved Mr. Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is something i would totally love to watch. to be honest, i hated that weird puppet land, but loved parts of the show that featured him. to this day, i've preferred real people to puppets and animation. i was a weird kid and am now a weird adult. thanks for this, black!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crayon factory is one of my favorite things ever to air on TV.
    Every time I watch "How It's Made" on whatever cable network it's on I always think of Mr Rogers.

    He taught me how to tie my shoes too!

    I cried when he passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Mr. Rogers...ok, my kids did. (I watched along with them). Singing his ditty in my head now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is the first i've heard about the mr. rogers homage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Rogers is another reason why the terrorists hate us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! I used to watch some of his shows!! The thing I remember is how he always took off his shoes and put them back on and how can I forget "It's a beautiful day in my neighbourhood"? ;) Long live Mr. Rogers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You brought back some very cherished memories. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely looked forward to visiting his neighborhood everyday after school. So psyched about the documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! I loved Mr. Rogers. My dad said other things I can't repeat on here. LOL. It was a battle, but Dad always let me watch him, but he would gripe about how dumb the show was and that Bugs Bunny was better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds awesome. I am totally there. I loved watching Mr. Rogers when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to take a ride on the trolley but never wanted to get off in the puppet land.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There has never been anybody like him and never will. Cool guy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess I'm the oddball here because I never really liked him when I was growing up, or Sesame Street either for that matter.

    I used to watch Square One, and the college Calculus shows (because I wanted to learn Calculus in the worst way possible when I was 8). Yeah, yeah, I know, kind of strange.

    http://futuretwits.blogspot.com

    Thanks for all of your comments on my blog, btw.

    Also, in case anyone wonders, Associated Content really blows. I submitted like 10 articles to them, and they've published one so far.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Mr. Rogers! :o) What a sweet post!

    Since you stop by my blog from time to time, I wanted to let you know that I wrote a guest post for "Three Girls and Our Guy" today, and I thought you might find it interesting! And maybe you'd leave a comment?! :o)

    Thanks. Here's the link! http://jessica-theleafamily.blogspot.com/2010/06/guest-post-gods-perfect-timing.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to say that the crayon factory has been in my head all of these years. A few years ago when Emily was a baby I was feeding her while watching mr Rogers and that episode came on and it just made me so happy. She was little and didn't get it, but I sure did and enjoyed it as much, if not more, than when I was a kid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Sadako - I loved him too!

    @Bossy Betty - It looks like it's going to be a great documentary.... But everything with Mr. Rogers is always great!

    @Bendigo - I always wanted Mr. Rogers to be my neighbor.

    @Ally - Not me.... I loved Make Believe Land.... Long live King Friday!

    @Lady Hill - Hey! Thanks again for the shout out! It's always nice find fellow Rogers Super Fans! lol

    @Marlene - Sure.... Blame it on the kids.... lol

    @liz - It should be a fun documentary! He was just a good guy all around....

    @Trooper Thorn - Is that why they hate us? I thought it was because of Mr. McFeely....

    @Sarah - I think this may be the first time that you've seen a show that I've seen.... lol

    @Christy - No problem!

    @Copyboy - Looks like there will be some other people in the theater with me.... lol

    @Momma Fargo - Bugs Bunny was definitely better at escaping hunters.... But could Bugs Bunny save single-handedly save PBS? Wascally Wabbit!

    @TS Hendrik - Did you know that he was color blind? He couldn't see blue....

    @Jerry - Make-Believe Land was awesome!

    @blueviolet - He was so sincere.... And he seemed to be talking to the children, not at the children.

    @JC - No Mr. Rogers or Sesame Street? How did you learn?

    @Chrissy - Thanks Chrissy! I'll be by to check out your post too!

    @The Girl Next Door Grows Up - I still love the show too! If you go to the PBS site, the crayon video is posted in the video section....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails